Unless you have been overweight, it's really hard to describe how stressful traveling, especially on the airplane, is so stressful. Last year I felt like every passenger was judging me as I walked down the aisle. It's hard enough to maneuver your luggage. Actually walking down yourself is quite similar to playing Operation, trying to get to the destination with out bumping into anyone. And then the faces on the passengers, holding their breath, praying to every deity known that the empty seat next to them is not the one on your boarding pass. There is an audible sigh of relief once you pass their row. Asking the flight attendant for a seat belt extender and then they hand it to you like they're passing you illicit drugs. Sitting awkwardly in my seat, trying not to move an inch, causing further discomfort to the passenger who drew the short straw and now sitting next to me for the next what seems like eternity.
Well it all came to an end on this trip. I was able to walk confidently down the aisle. I didn't see any crossings or rosary beads. No bumping into people I didn't want to bump into. I sat in my seat and "click". It was SO magical!

2 comments:
This post, my friend, is why you should write a book. So insightful and honest. I don't travel much, plane or otherwise, but your words made me picture this clear as day. Good for you, too.
You are too kind, Jessica! I don't think I have enough wit or cynicism to fill a whole book, so until then I'll have to make due with my blog :)
Post a Comment