Technically this was me a year and one day ago, but I was celebrating yesterday. deal with it :)
A year ago I had had enough. Something finally clicked. I had to do something, I had to do now, and I had to do it for me. I was just about ready to turn 30 and tipped the scales at 378, the largest I had ever every been. I told myself there was no way I would get to 400.
I was researching the local gyms online when I got to 24hourfitness.com. One of the online people popped up on my screen and sent me a 7 day free trial pass. When I got home I called the gym. I talked to Kate, one of the membership people. I told her my story, my struggle with my weight, how I needed to work with someone who would keep me accountable, challenge me, but not kill me. I made an appointment to meet with them 20 minutes later. I walked in, got a tour of the facility, set up my membership and signed up with a personal trainer.
For the first 9 months I worked out with Matt twice a week. The with thing is a lie. He told me what to do and I did it. The other days I would rotate between cardio and strength training. Six days a week (sometimes 7) I would be at the gym for at least 90 minutes. I had to. It made me feel better. It made me happier and gave me more energy. It still does.
I went in to see my doctor in April. Complete clean bill of health. She took me off my anti depressant medication and was so thrilled for me. I ran my first 5K in May. I volunteered for Spartan Race in June (so I can see what I'm getting myself into when I sign up to run it next year). I was on the injured list for 2 months while dealing with some tendonitis. It stopped me from running, but I was still able to use the elliptical and strength train.
I now meet with Matt once every other week (they get expensive, but totally worth it). I've added boot camp and body pump to my training schedule along with the regular strength training and cardio days. KC makes sure I go to Boot Camp even though I feel like I'm going to die each time. Matt sat down with me a couple weeks ago to make sure I had everything set up with my schedule. Apparently you're supposed to work out the full body evenly.. something about not wanting to have uneven hamstrings or biceps..
I'm still working on my eating habits. I definitely notice the difference my body feels when I'm eating healthier. It kind of goes in shock whenever I over do it on the sugar. If I could still get my sweet tooth under control things would be a lot better! This journey has definitely been more than just a physical one. I have grown mentally, emotionally and have overcome more obstacles that I personally had set up for myself. I am so blessed to have the support, love, and encouragement from everyone around me. I have made new friends, strengthened old relationships and shared my story with complete strangers. I have gained confidence and self esteem that I have always wanted. I'm not hiding. I still have a ways to go, but it's definitely worth it and it's definitely attainable. Thanks for reading my story.

No comments:
Post a Comment