Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

March 5, 2013

Whole30 part deux

Some of this was already covered in the previous post, but I'm too tired to go through and edit. That just means it's extra important.

So it's been a few days back on "normal" food. You're supposed to re-introduce foods slowly. For instance, have 2 or 3 servings of dairy the first day and another serving or 2 the 2nd day, see how your body reacts and go back on the Whole30 regimen for a few days. Then reintroduce grains without the dairy.. etc.. then add them both.. Yeah.. I didn't do that. My stomach hasn't been a big fan of being filled with things it hasn't had in the last month. 

I have noticed a lot of things though the last couple of days. I felt uncomfortably full and bloated after my normal oatmeal and yogurt on Monday (combining the dairy and grains and sugar). That was my go to breakfast for ages. I'll probably stick with some sort of egg dish here on out. It's easy to prepare for a week and make it a grab 'n go. Plus it kept me full longer (and more protein!).

Carrageenan is in everything. This is one of the additives that Whole30 tells you to stay away from. I've gotten used to checking the labels on all the processed foods. I found it in my "healthy" yogurt dressing, some soy milk, and my beloved Nesquik! I haven't read up on why it's on the do not consume list, but I'm sure they have their reasons. It's amazing to me all the things that get added into some items. I bought the wrong almond butter the other day, Almond Naturally More.. ingredients include almonds (good), soy protein (why), flax seed (okay), Evaporated can juice (sugar), canola oil (why), salt, and molasses. So random. Just get the regular almond butter. OH well. 

Yesterday for lunch I got a free drink with my order. I was scared to even try the diet coke because I haven't had any caffeine   for the whole month. I went for the Light minute maid and added a bit of sprite to make it bubbly. I was only able to take a few sips before I threw it out. It was so over sweet. I also tested out the candy room and quickly realized that I didn't need all the sugar. I do understand that if I continually "try out the candy room" then those taste buds will change and I'll be addicted once more. I just need to remember that. I was totally fine without the sugar during the whole30. I really didn't crave it and as long as it wasn't staring me in the face I didn't feel like I was missing out. 

I also realized that when I was eating the GOOD food I felt fuller, longer, and just overall healthier and more energy. Yesterday I had soup and salad, which really isn't a big deal. I'm sure the turkey had some additives and the bacon may not have been nitrate free. I have no idea what all the ingredients were in the soup (asparagus, made with sour cream), plus a slice of bread (honey wheat) and a sugar cookie (just to test my theory). Comparing how I felt after eating that to how i felt just after eating my "clean, whole30 approved" curry is shocking. Seriously. It's crazy to me. I have already noticed difficulty in my sleeping in just the 3 days I've been off. So I'm going to try doing a mostly Paleo/Whole30 diet and allow for social events without getting stressed out. 

Another benefit of eating better - weight loss. And not just weight, but inches and body fat. I have been struggling the last few months. This month I lost more weight, more inches, and more body fat than the last 4 months (no joke). There is something to be said for eating cleanly.

I also ordered the book "It Starts With Food" today from Amazon. The authors of the book are the developers and Whole30 extraordinaires. I guess since I've already completed it, I should probably read up on what I just did. It will also help me in my continuation and any future Whole30s that I may do.

So that's it. I'm starting to figure this whole diet thing out and my relationship to food.. just 18 months, no biggie.

2 comments:

Cath said...

Carrageenan is/is made from seaweed. This was indelibly impressed on my memory as a young child, because it totally freaked me out that I was eating seaweed. I don't know why it's objectionable on whole30, but there you go.

Erin said...

That makes sense to me. Soy isn't allowed and that might have some soy counterparts.. maybe??? I ordered the book and they discuss it thoroughly. I'll keep you posted (if you're interested)