Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

March 4, 2013

Whole30

I need to write this down before I totally space it and forget all my thoughts. It's going to be a lot of reading.. so you've been warned.

So back in December Matt told me he was doing Whole30 for February (which would only be 28 days) and told me I could do it too if I wanted. I agreed to it without really knowing the details.  I looked at the website and automatically thought, "WHAT IN THE WORLD DID I JUST AGREE TO??"

Visit here and you'll understand: the-whole30-program

I read No Sugar, No Grains, No Beans, No Dairy. First, I have oatmeal and yogurt every day. That is my go-to breakfast. No sugar?? Of any kind?? No substitutes? No honey? Craziness!!

So I started counting down until go time, still freaking out, but in a way, excited for the challenge. I did a search for "compliant" recipes, stocked up on my coconut, sweet potatoes, and chicken, and jumped in.

The first day was solid. I can totally do this! They actually have a time frame of what and how you'll feel while you're doing this and it's pretty accurate. Days 2 and 3 are called the "Hangover" stage. You're getting rid of all the toxins and sugar that have been building up in your system. I definitely had a headache (not really sure if it is comparable to a hangover headache, but we'll just say yes). Days 4-5 were a lull; I still felt good about the situation, but I didn't have a  lot of energy. This probably lasted a few extra days, but I can say by day 8 I was bouncing off the walls. Seriously. It felt so great! I made it through all of my workouts. I didn't feel the need to nap at work. I slept like a baby and it was great! And then the crazy dreams started, as they said they would. I dreamt of corn dogs, twinkies, mozzarella sticks, and trying to order Chinese. So random! I can't remember the last time I had any of those foods. This lasted until the last week.

The last week was brutal. I got in my head too much. I just wanted it to be over. I survived the 3 weeks. I proved to myself that I could do it. The prep work was getting a little too much. But I managed through it and successfully complete my first Whole30

At 12:01am Sunday, March 3rd, I broke open a pint of ice cream and indulged (probably a little too much).

I would say the hardest part was trying to be social during this process. It's hard going to restaurants and trying to figure out what is allowed. You basically have to ask how everything is prepared, what oil is used, added ingredients into the sauces, how the meat was processed, any extra marinades. I declined most invites and the ones I did go to were still difficult. I would always get asked "why?", especially when I said the no sugar part.

A part of my job is helping with our education programs. We have program running right now 2 of the 4 weeks every month. This means catered breakfast and lunch, plus snacks and a whole candy table. I am setting out the food for the participants and restocking the candy jars and soda cart throughout the day. The first week of program was hard, but by the second I wasn't really tempted. I had my food (that I knew was delicious) and program would be going on next month. I finally got over the "I'm missing out" mentality.

I think I've always had a problem with the "I'm missing out" mentality. If I don't have it now, I'll never have it again!! (I know this isn't correct, food will always be there.) I was able to make that mental change. I'm not really missing out. I'm strengthening my resolve to be better, kinder to my body, to nourish it, and to make the right food choices.

I also realized that I didn't need sugar in my life. Granted, I'm not going to go without sugar the rest of my life, but I know that I don't have to eat a bag of twix bars in one sitting. I can take a bite or two of ice cream and be okay. I know this mentally, I just have to put it into action now. I think there may be  a little more talking to myself in the future, don't judge.

What did I miss for the WHOLE 30 DAYS?? Gum!!! Seriously, just gum. Everything else was bearable. Sheesh.

I was also able to spend more time looking at labels and seeing what was actually in the food that I was eating. I noticed there are a bunch of added ingredients that we don't necessarily need. Before I started I was concerned with calories and fat grams. I would choose the light or fat free options because I thought they would be healthier. But when you compare the labels of a "diet" product with the regular product, you really aren't getting a better version. It may save you a few calories, but in the long run, it's probably better for you to eat the full fat option (in my opinion, depending on what it is).

Also, I wasn't able to weigh myself or do any measurements. They want you to focus on making healthy choices and getting rid of the additives in your system and not using it as just a weight loss tactic. I'm doing measurements tomorrow (which probably isn't the best after what I ate today) so we'll see how the month went.

I probably could have done better with my consumption of almond butter and Lara Bars. I realized that I used these as my crutch when I felt a sugar need, or left out, or bored, or when I noticed I was emotionally eating. I have actually been able to make great strides in recognizing my eating out of boredom or due to emotions. I can definitely tell the difference now from 2 years ago. And the Whole30 just added more focus to that.

Overall, it was a great experience and has given more to think about where I want to go from here, how to modify it into something that I can maintain. A lot of people encouraged me throughout the process, many impressed with the commitment. I would suggest that everyone try it, at least once. It's a great feeling to know that you just killed 30 days of clean eating. Do it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Youdidamazing! That would be so hard to follow because many of my diet staples are dairy too. I also love me some beans! Great job!

Erin said...

Thanks Jullee! It was definitely hard to give a few things up, but I was able to find replacements or better choices. I can't say a really missed anything for the whole time. I would have cravings every now and then. But it was only for 30 days. You can do anything for 30 days :)

Cath said...

Good for you! I couldn't do it, not all of them at once. And it sounds like I couldn't have Tums, so that's a deal breaker right there!

The Alma Oliphants said...

I am super impressed.