Wow, I'm a horrible blogger. I have so much catching up to do! I'll start working on that...I needed to add to the post that I made a few weeks ago on Facebook.
Two years ago I was the most miserable I had ever been. My family was on the beach in Florida and I was dying. We were walking distance away from the beach, but that walk included 6 flights of stairs. Getting to the beach was fine, but as we would prepare to go home I would panic about getting up all the stairs. It took the fun out of being at the beach.
Anyway, this June I was doing RAGNAR (198 mile relay run through the Wasatch mountains) and I was getting down on myself. The rest of my van had pretty intense runs, up and down canyons, long distances, etc. I was the slowest, had the least amount of miles, and the least degree of difficulty. But then I took a minute to realize where I was coming from. I knew that the beach picture was taken in June 2011.. somewhere around the time I was running. It wasn't until I was able to get home that I put the dates together that I realized it had be EXACTLY 2 years. I felt a lot better about my performance during Ragnar, the fact that I actually did Ragnar and survived, and that I had overcome where I had been.
Two years ago I was the most miserable I had ever been. My family was on the beach in Florida and I was dying. We were walking distance away from the beach, but that walk included 6 flights of stairs. Getting to the beach was fine, but as we would prepare to go home I would panic about getting up all the stairs. It took the fun out of being at the beach.
Anyway, this June I was doing RAGNAR (198 mile relay run through the Wasatch mountains) and I was getting down on myself. The rest of my van had pretty intense runs, up and down canyons, long distances, etc. I was the slowest, had the least amount of miles, and the least degree of difficulty. But then I took a minute to realize where I was coming from. I knew that the beach picture was taken in June 2011.. somewhere around the time I was running. It wasn't until I was able to get home that I put the dates together that I realized it had be EXACTLY 2 years. I felt a lot better about my performance during Ragnar, the fact that I actually did Ragnar and survived, and that I had overcome where I had been.
I've had a couple more experiences with competing and comparing myself with others before this happened and afterwards. I'm still working on not comparing myself to others. It's a daily challenge. Nobody is perfect.
So my new goal is to work on me, to reach the goals that I set for myself. Here's to not worrying that person X just lapped me, or jealous that person Y's hair just flows so effortlessly. Maybe person X is a trained sprinter and you know what? Maybe person Y has a really top of the line wig. Who knows. But I spend more time making myself better than dwelling on the things that I don't have. I'm going to celebrate going 4 days without chocolate. And next time, maybe I'll beat my weightlifting PRs.



.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment