All you need are 5 ingredients, a blender or food processor, and maybe some bread.
2 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts (toasted) (or walnuts, not toasted)
1/2-2/3 cup Parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
2-4 cloves garlic
You want to wash the basil and then pinch them off at the leaf (you don't want a lot of stem, otherwise it can be bitter). Add the nuts, cheese and garlic and about 1/2 of the olive oil. "Pulse" the mixture and then add more olive oil until everything starts mixing together. You can add more of any of the ingredients to your own preference. I've been known to be a bit of a garlic whore. I love my garlic! You can serve with toasted baguette or just eat it by the spoonful!
I decided to add it to a pasta salad. I mixed the pesto with penne noodles, grape tomatoes, olives, bacon, and a little lemon zest. Again, it was basically amazing. Oh and I garnished it with some leftover pine nuts.
I was going to do the same thing with the granola bars, but I got tired. Maybe next time you'll have a step by step dissection of the cooking goodness. Enjoy!

2 comments:
Pesto makes a great sauce for pizza! Top it with chicken, sliced tomatoes, etc. Very yummy. I bet it'd make a great chicken panini, too.
I'd love directions for the granola bars!
Post a Comment