A couple people have been asking me for food ideas. I have one problem with this.. I don't really use recipes. I gather ideas, but then I make what I want to make. I thank my mom and dad for this. My dad is a serious innovator when it comes to cooking. Anyway, I'm trying to make better choices this week in my eating so you, dear readers, are the lucky ones who get to see what I'm eating. I'm not going to bore you with everything, just dinner (because that's usually what I have problems with the most)
Monday -
Protein Pancakes (I love being an adult)
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before but here ya go
In a blender
1/2 cup cottage cheese (2% milk fat)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 4 egg whites or 4 whole eggs)
seasoning of your choice (I usually do cinnamon, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract or almond extract)
Blend until smooth
Pour onto heated skillet
I top with with sugar free syrup and you're good to go. This recipe makes 4-5 decent sized pancakes
Add some fresh fruit for extra goodness!
and just because I'm nice..
Nutrition Information without syrup: 310 Calories, 34g Carbs, 6g Fat, 30g Protein, 710mg Sodium, 4g Fiber.
It's a little high in the Sodium department, so just make sure the other food you eat that day has lower sodium and you'll be fine
Tuesday -
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
I made this with the idea that it will be two servings. It's low cal/fat enough to be one if you "accidentally" eat it all
8oz Lean (93/7) Jennie-O Ground Turkey
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1/2 cup canned (or fresh) corn, (low sodium) drained/rinsed
1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
1/2 cup canned black beans (low sodium), drained/rinsed
1 Tbsp. garlic (I like garlic)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper (if you want heat)
2 Tbsp. dried onion
1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
Alfalfa sprouts
Romaine lettuce
Brown turkey in pan on medium heat. Drain off excess fat. Add cottage cheese, mushrooms, beans and corn. Cook for 2 minutes. Drain extra "juice". Add remaining ingredients/spices (except for sprouts and lettuce). Cook until warmed through. Spoon onto lettuce leaves and top with sprouts.
It's probably still a little high on the sodium (I blame the cottage cheese).
Nutritional facts per serving (2 servings): 326 Calories, 20g Carbs, 11g Fat, 34g Protein, 519mg Sodium, 6g Fiber
Wednesday
Pineapple Slaw with Creamy Ginger Lime Dressing
1/4 cup thick Greek plain yogurt
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil*
2 cups shredded cabbage- green or napa
¼ cup minced scallions
2 cups diced fresh pineapple
½ cup sliced almonds
In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, ginger, salt, pepper, lime, sugar, and oil. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss cabbage, scallions, pineapple, and almonds. Pour the yogurt mixture over the top and toss to combine, making sure all of the cabbage is coated. Cover and place the dressed slaw in the refrigerator to allow flavors to blend for at least 1 hour before serving.
* I omitted the oil and just used water instead..worked just fine, without the extra fat and calories
** I added 1 1/2 cups diced chicken to the salad to add protein and make it more of a dinner meal.
2 full plate dinner servings

No comments:
Post a Comment