Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

May 13, 2012

How to survive running your first 5K

Because I'm an expert now, I thought I would pass on some valuable information. Please note that this post will most likely be filled with sarcasm. If you question whether or not it is sarcastic, it probably is. So here we go.

First things first. If you want to run a 5K and not have to plan it out, it might be best to register for one in the area. Chances are you'll have to fork over some money to do so, but you'll get an AWESOME T-Shirt!

It's really nice when you have some comfortable shoes with new inserts that make your feet feel like they're running on air (this is true, I really love my shoes).
After you register, they'll send you a fancy racing bib with a number. You'll think it's really cool that your running number is 2012, especially since the year you're running is 2012. And then it will all make sense when your friend tells you that their number is 2012 as well. Not as cool as you thought it was..
And then if you get separated from the crowd they provide you with a nice map of the run on the back of your racing number. It helps you keep track of where you're at and how much further you have to go.
Then you'll need a nifty armband for your ipod. Because carrying your ipod in your pocket, slid in your bra, or half-way zipped in a mini-pocket really doesn't work while you're running down the street.
And then in that armband is one of your most prized possession for the run. You need to have the proper running mix.
This running mix consisted of the following:
Raise your weapon - deadmau5
Machinehead - Bush
Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
Call Me - Blondie
Hit me with your best shot - Pat Benatar
Crazy on you - Heart
coffee's for closers - Fall Out Boys
My First Kiss - 3OH!3
What doesn't kill you (stronger) - Kelly Clarkson
Turn me on (feat. Nicki Minaj) - David Guetta

I think that's as far as I got in my playlist. It really kept me going.

You definitely need to have the right attire, especially if everyone is participating. Because it was the Susan G Komen race, everyone was decked out in all shades of pink. We wanted to do TuTus, but it's really hard to find cheap, adult sized Tutus.. So we went with the next best thing. Because really, who doesn't want a tiara.

But the most important thing to have when you run is an awesome group of friends that will support and encourage you throughout the run. And it's even that much better when they're there at the finish line to root and cheer for you. Thanks lovely ladies!

The beginning of the race was a little chaotic. There were so many people to start off and we really didn't hear the "countdown". People just started running so we went with them. About 6 blocks in I needed to take off my jacket. I was good to go after that until we got about 1.5 miles in. I walked a block and then got going again. At the 2 mile mark Niki and I waited a bit for Jean-Ann and Emily. Emily caught up and then passed us. We started running again. I got 4 more blocks in me and then needed to catch my breath. I told myself that I would run the rest of the race without stopping. I could go to the next block and then the next block, I turned the corner and there was the finish line. I made it! I survived! They had cheerleaders lined up cheering us on. It felt so good. We grabbed some water and these amazing oranges and headed home. It was a great way to start the Saturday! I was going to do bootcamp later, but then my sister called and twisted my arm to go to lunch with them instead. I love running. It was a lot easier running outside than inside on the treadmill, but the fact that I can do either still astonishes me. Thanks everyone for your support and love. Who wants to run my next 5K with me?

3 comments:

me said...

What you say about having the ipod in the bra is true. It chafes.

The Alma Oliphants said...

Holy Crap. IS that my sister in that picture?!? Where did she go. That's only half of her! I want to run with you!

Unknown said...

So totally awesome Erin!! I'm so proud of you and happy :) Later in the summer I will be doing at least one 5k..there is Trudy 5k in Bountiful and I don't remember..but I think it is only $15-20 so it is much cheaper than Komen. Then Weight Watchers puts on a free 5k it is crazy and crowded but totally good. If you want to come with let me know :)