So this time last year a season of The Biggest Loser started and I actually watched the entire season. Let's just say I had similar interests with the partipants. I was blown away by how much weight they lost and was so jealous that I wasn't there, that I had to work on my own and figure things out for myself. They had it so easy! They went there, had trainers work with them, their whole day was centered around working out and eating healthy.
Fast forward to last night. I was watching the first hour of the show. I was touched by a few of the stories and how it played out. I was in a lot of their shoes 16 months ago, completely at a loss as to what I was going to to do. I was mad that I had let myself get to where I was. But I knew that it was only up to me to make the changes that I needed.
Last night I was watching the participants work with the trainers and I knew exactly what they were going through. They were running on the first day! I was winded after 5 minutes on the elliptical. They were on the rower, doing squats, kettle bell throws, resistance band running, and a whole lot more. They had Jillian, Dolvett, and Bob yelling at them. No wonder most of them were in tears. I would have wanted to give up too! I was so happy that that wasn't me! I know the hard work that it takes to do those exercises now. It makes me more thankful for the patience and motivation that I received from Matt while training and the encouragement from others all around me. I know the commitment and dedication that it takes to make permanent changes.
There was once girl who left halfway through the first week. She was initally happy to be on TBL, but then realized that mentally and emotionally she wasn't ready for the changes that were in store for her. It really does matter if you are ready. You have to want it. You can do it for others at first and you may be successful, but if you are not in it for you, that success will not last. At least that's what my experience shows.
I was floored when at the weigh-in people were losing 15 - 30 pounds in that first week. I remember last year I was so frustrated because they were losing those numbers in a week and I wasn't even close to losing that in a month. I was discussing that with a friend last night and he reminded me how unhealthy it is to lose so much weight so quickly. And then found that a lot of the participants did gain their weight back.
I'm glad I'm doing this the way I am. It would have been fun (?) to be on The Biggest Loser, but I know that what I'm doing is for me and it is a lifestyle change. I have been able to take the time that I need to figure things out mentally, emotionally and physically. I still have some barriers that I need to get over, but this process is definitely helping me accomplish that.
I'm going to continue watching The Biggest Loser and cheer them on. But I'm not going to let their results shadow my own. I'm not going to compare what their doing with what I'm doing. Maybe I'll learn a few things, maybe I'll see some exercises that I want to try, but that's about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment