Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

February 6, 2012

Cardio Report

This is to give you motivation to keep on going. I'm not bragging. I'm saying if I can do this, you can definitely do this. Just start. One step at a time! I'm here for any of you if you have any questions, if you are starting your own self transformation, for support.




In September when I started this whole journey I died the first time I got back on the elliptical. After 5 minutes I was done, panting, slowly dying. I decided I would start on the bike (bonus, I got to sit!). I alternated between the bike and the treadmill, spending most of my time on the bike. Then I decided I would work on moving onto the elliptical, increasing my resistance and time little by little. I stayed mostly at a 1, maybe pushed myself to a 2 here or there. I think it was November when it was suggested that I increase my resistance level. I got up to a 5 and felt really good about it.

About a month ago we increased my target heart rate to 150 on cardio days and then in a month or so bump it to 160. I was able to reach 150 in 25 minutes and maintain that for the rest of the workout (an additional 35 minutes). The last two weeks I've been having a really hard time getting it past 147. It was stupid and annoying and dumb (yes, I threw a tantrum like a 5 year old). Again it was suggested that I change my routine, as my body was probably just getting used to the elliptical and was very acclimated to the work it needed to do. So we started on the stairs.

I like the stairs, really, I do. It stretches my legs really well and you can get a good workout in in a short amount of time. The last few cardio days I've done 10-15 minutes on lower levels and then quickly moved onto the elliptical to finish up my time.

I share all of this information with you for the following reason:

Today I hopped on the stairs, did 15 minutes and sped over to the ONLY open elliptical. I went straight to a level 10 resistance (out of 20) and started my time. I was surprised that my heart rate was at 140. I was excited that it wouldn't take me that much longer to get to 150. Twenty-four minutes in I was at 150 and holding. Forty minutes in I was at 160!!! I had made it! I broke whatever spell had been cast on the stupid elliptical and got to my cardio goal. I actually ended the night at 164 for 15 minutes. It was MARVELOUS. And I was at a level 14 resistance.

The moral of this story is that I started out 5 months ago barely able to do 5 minutes at a level one. Today I did 50 minutes, mostly at a level 13 or 14. I love my heart. I have apologized for treating it so poorly in the past. Be good to your heart, it's what's keeping you alive!

8 comments:

me said...

Awesome! That's a huge improvement. It makes me wonder what I've done in the past 5 months (not much). :)

Kjersten said...

You are so awesome!!

Carlie Robertson said...

Soooo, I am officially blog stalking you...and I am going to kick it off with a comment! First: You should know that you, my friend, are AMAZING! Second: remember that one time when I asked if we could be gym buddies and you kindly responded yes? Then remember the time after that when the holidays came and ruined everything (or not, choose your own ending) and we never ended up getting together. Then, remember the time just after that when I got my gym pass to the wrong gym (Planet Fitness)? That was a long stroll down memory lane! Anyhow, the moral of the story is that I was hoping some of your AMAZINGNESS (it's a word people, look it up in my personal dictionary where it is written in the margin!)could transfer to me. Thoughts? I would love to hang out with you and perhaps you could give me some tips on working out, diet, and maybe even life in general :) Just a thought. Thanks for being so open about your journey and for being willing to share with all of us...you truly are an inspiration!

Erin said...

Catherine.. you've been working on your fitness for a long time. Your diligence in running and biking etc was and is an inspiration. You're allowed time off when you have a baby :)

Erin said...

I love when blog stalkers come out of the closet, it makes all my crazy rants worth it! Thanks Carlie! It saddens me that we can not be actual gym buddies. But, you know what, I'm just excited that you wanted to join a gym. It will all work out in the end. I will probably end up being a life long member somewhere. Then we can figure that part out later.
It's a date! I would absolutely love to get together with you and chit chat! I will try to come up with some useful information. The key point is finding what works for you and going with that. Do you still have my number?

Nothing said...

hey lovey. you know what's funny? unless your trainer tells you something you don't believe it! ha ha! more on that later i'm sure. i am so proud of you. i couldn't wait for you to blog so i could high five you from a distance!

i hate those moving stairs and in fact i want to vomit after about 10 minutes. ugh.

Erin said...

You're probably right. I think deep down inside I know all of this is true, but it takes someone telling me that for it to cement. I don't trust myself :)

I've only gone up to 15 minutes on the stairs and not at any crazy speeds. And I've been able to keep the vomiting to a minimum!

me said...

:) But seriously...my two big comebacks in the past few months were directly related to things you posted on your blog. So many times I've thought, "I should be more consistent like Erin." For reals. I just looked at my running blog and on October 3 I wrote something about a friend who had gone every day for 3 weeks and it made me feel like a slacker. You're the best. :)