Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

January 3, 2012

Falling Branch

There's a little hike close by my parents house that I've never done. My sisters keep talking about it, Katelyn had her senior pictures there, and I've seen other pictures of their walks. I felt a bit left out. SO, we rectified that while I was home. Katelyn was generous enough to be my tour guide.

The trail is mostly dirt and it had rained/snowed early that day, so it was a little muddy. I'm thankful that Katelyn had me change out of my brand new shoes into something a little more reasonable.

We started heading down the trail. I was a bit worried because with it being muddy and, in my mind, really steep. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make the hike back up without some serious efforts. We passed a guy who was heading out and he was super out of breath. He looked fit and if he was out of breath, I was going to die! This was not a good start.
We took our time heading into the waterfall (oh yes, there's a waterfall at the end of the trail). It was so gorgeous with the sun setting. We only passed two other couples the whole time we were out. There were plenty of photo ops (these aren't even half of them!)





To get to the waterfall you have to cross the stream (RIVER depending on who you ask). I have this fear of crossing bodies of water, to include falling in them, being swept away, drowning etc. This wasn't too bad. There were rocks to cross on and Katelyn was so sweet and patient with me, guiding me, telling me which rocks were wobbly, and then helping me climb the banks at the end. After crossing back I had to take a "yeah, I just owned you, stream/river" pic.

Katelyn was a little more adventurous in climbing the rock out by the waterfall. I didn't want to slip, fall, die, so I stayed on the more solid ground.




Katelyn mentioned that there was an extension of the trail that went above the waterfall. So we went back, crossed the river again, and went a little further. The trail above the waterfall scared me once we got there. For it me looked pretty steep (again), I didn't want to fall down, and then there was the whole thing about getting back up. You can't really tell in the picture, but I was greatly concerned. I told Katelyn to go ahead without me, I would just stay there and wait for her. She made it down and then the thought popped in my head not to give up now. I had made it this far, I hadn't fallen, I hadn't died, and I didn't want to regret missing this opportunity. So I ventured on in, and I survived to tell about it.


We slowly made our way back to the car. It was so nice to be out in nature. I actually got better cell service out there than I did at my parents house, go figure. We had fun taking more pictures and just enjoying being outside. I had one more obstacle to pass, the muddy incline to the car. I knew it was coming up. I got to a muddy portion that I didn't realize was the actual end. I just put my head down, focused on my steps, and wouldn't you know it, there was the car. No panting, no dying, pure success! I realized that had I of gone on this hike any other time in my life, I don't think I would have made it as easily. I had so much fun with Katelyn and it was so great spending this time with her. She was so patient with me. Next time I promise not to hold her back! I felt so good afterwards for overcoming fears, doubts and obstacles. It's such an amazing feeling. We got to enjoy a beautiful sunset on our way home!

1 comment:

Nothing said...

that is so great erin. i'm proud of you. the pics are gorgeous and you didn't give up! fun times <3