Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

February 12, 2012

Ideas? Suggestions? Tips?

I have a question for everyone. I am having a really hard time with the whole self control thing. Yesterday I got some Rocher Ferrera (?) chocolates from my parents for Valentines day. Did they last more than 4 hours? Yes, they did, but that's because I left them in my car while I went to a movie. But during the movies I ate popcorn and shared some M&Ms with Katelyn. I just feel that when the sweets come around I can't seem to stop. I can brush it off for awhile, but then continually crave it until I fill that craving, or miraculously get my mind off of it. What do you do when you have those intense cravings? How do you not eat a whole bag of M&Ms in one sitting? What stops you from eating the package of Oreos (I'm looking at you, Janelle). I feel like my appetite has just been all over the place the last week and I'm looking to find some more control. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In pinterest there is a chart that tells you what your body is REALLY craving when you crave junk food. I will try to email you the link...

Anita Baker said...

i eat almonds or peanut butter or rice cakes. also i know i have a sweet problem and i have asked all my friends and family to help me. so say i was at the movies and i wanted m&m's...the friend with me would ask me "do you really want that?" if i caved still after that guilt questions, they will say, "okay but you said that it's bad to eat those things". so it's helpful to ask those around you to help hold you accountable until you can train yourself to not cave.

me said...

Here are a few things that work for me.

1. Keeping ahead of the hunger. If I wait to eat and let myself get too hungry, I have very little control over what I eat and usually I end up making bad food choices.
2. Not buying or making junk food. If it's around, I'll eat it. Almost no matter what.
3. Breaking habits. Sometimes I'll get myself in a phase where I always want dessert after dinner, or something sweet after I work out, or something sweet for breakfast, or something sweet after church...it's hard to break the habit, but after awhile the urge isn't as strong. Especially if I can feel proud of myself for overcoming something.
4. Not telling myself that I deserve something or that it doesn't matter what I eat. Lately I find myself thinking things like, "I'm running so much that it won't matter if I eat this," or "I'm within x pounds of my goal, so it's okay to eat this," or "I'm still lactating, so it's okay if I eat this" (that last one might not apply to everyone :). But none of those things are really true.
5. Thinking about what I want/where I want to be. I hate hate hate hate having extra weight, and when I visualize where I want to be it's easier to make better food choices. It's also helpful to do this at the gym; I can always find people who are in worse and better shape than me, so this helps to think about where I've been and where I want to go.
6. Taking responsibility. If I'm honest with myself I know that I am responsible for meeting or not meeting my goals, and eating X has consequences.

Obviously I don't do all of these things; I've been stuck at the same weight for about a month and a half and am currently chowing down on some cookies that Eric's parents sent us for Valentine's day (but it's a holiday! And I'm going to go to the gym in a little bit! And they're from Trader Joe's and we don't have one of those here! And I'm *so* close to my goal weight!). But when I *do* follow those things I eat better and lose the weight.