I remember a time, living in Germany, where my sisters and I were grounded because someone ate one of the leftover cream puffs. That someone was me. But I wasn't about to say and suffer the consequences. No sir! My sisters weren't to happy with me, because let's face it, I was always the one sneaking the food.
Lately, I feel like my relationship with food has changed. Yes, I still get the chocolate cravings, I love a good cheesecake, and I probably indulge more than I should. But, I've also made friends with the fresh produce, lean meats, and fat free sorbet.
I feel better about these choices. It gives me the energy I need for my workouts and sustains me throughout the day. A few months ago my go to Friday night dinner would be DiGiorno's stuff crust pizza and a pint of Ben & Jerry's. No joke. The thought of that actually makes me sick right now (that and I'm actually sick). It's hard to put into words the feelings that I have because of this progress.
I believe that if I really try, my will power is stronger than the instant gratification. Last Friday was a real eye opener for me. We had birthday cake at work and there were leftovers. I went back TWICE (they were small pieces, but still). Then that night we had birthday cake for my Uncle. I felt sick, like physically sick. It actually scared me because I felt like I was sneaking the extra cake at work. This brought me back to my "previous life" where I was sneaking food here and there, hoping people wouldn't see me, judge me for stuffing my mouth.
I've been able to make better choices for me. I can read a menu and actually make a good choice, as opposed to glazing over the contents and just hoping that what I choose will fill the void or the momentary craving.
I still have my weaknesses, I still have my cravings, but I know of the progress that I've made along with painful remembrance of where I came from. My mom has been trying to eat better these last few weeks and she'll call and we'll talk about the different choices she can make. I like this extra knowledge that I have and that I can pass on, support and encourage others. So many people have helped me, it feels good to reciprocate. I'm excited to have this new, improved outlook with food and not just using it for comfort.
Audience participation - what's your go to snack, indulgence, favorite fruit/veggie, any helpful tips when eating out? And go.

4 comments:
Kids meals! It's a decent meal (calorie-wise) for the practical adult. Also, a hamburger with ketchup and mustard only from In-n-Out is only 300ish calories, and their fries aren't that good anyway.
I agree. I think their fries are gross.
I don't know if you ever eat there..but my favorite spot is Jason's Deli. They have some really low calorie options and a great salad bar. My favorite fruit right now is kiwi..love it.
So I was a total hypocrite this weekend. It was like all I could eat was carbs. I had pancakes Friday and Saturday, but they were oh so good.
I'm with you on the in-n-out fries, they're just nasty. Jullee- I love Jason's Deli, I just haven't been there in a really long time. I'll have to pick up some kiwi next time I'm at the store. Right now I'm really loving me some sweet, juicy blueberries.
Post a Comment