I thought I would share with you some items that are currently taking residence in my refrigerator.
I've really gotten on the greek yogurt bandwagon. It's so thick and creamy! If you don't like the tartness of the 0%fat then go ahead and stick with the 2%fat. I usually eat the yogurt with the granola (see below). Great way to start out the morning! Also, a good amount of protein for breakfast. Add some fruit for a little more nutrition. I tend to buy the bigger tubs of yogurt and serve it out when needed (whatever way is cheaper).
Oh cottage cheese. You do need to be a little careful with this one. The sodium can really get you. For 1/2 a cup you're looking from 350-500mg (about 1/5 of your sodium for the day). But you can use it for so many things. I use it as a binding ingredient in my turkey burgers, part of my protein pancakes, or as a veggie dip. If you're not watching what you eat, try scooping it on Doritos, but that may become addictive (thanks Keira).
Also a great source of protein. A little fact that I learned this week, if you smooth out the cottage cheese before putting it back in the fridge, it maintains it's creaminess.
I love grape/cherry tomatoes. They're such a great little snack. I love eating them with the cottage cheese. They're so good with they're firm on the outside and that juiciness on the inside. A little chilled and you're good to go. I've been extremely lucky to get some good ones at the store recently. But I can hardly wait to pick them fresh off my grandparents vine. I'm sure they won't mind.
This is my new favorite granola. It's low fat, high protein, and just enough sweetness to stave off the need of added honey/sugar. Crunchy goodness to boot! Again, add some yogurt and fruit and you're set.
Best little treat. Add to some skim milk and it helps with the sweet tooth without the added fat, sugar, calories. And the 2 Tbsp. serving size is plenty enough. Don't tell this to my 8-yr old self, who felt the need to fill the class half way with the powder to make it drinkable.
mmm Sweet Peppers. They're so crunchy! And sweet! And delicious! Scoop some tuna on them in place of the bread for a nice little change.
I had some really good strawberries the other day. I forgot how much I like them. Really all berries. I like when they're firm, but still sweet. Not a fan of the super mushy ones. And it's almost summer!
A couple others I failed to mention.. zucchini, alfalfa sprouts, celery, avocado.. that should do it for now.
Audience Participation: What are you favorite go to healthy snacks? What staples (besides bread, milk, eggs) are on your grocery list?








7 comments:
I do love go lean crunch. Just bought a double box on sale at costco, actually. We usually have a head of lettuce in the fridge/on the grocery list. And an avocado...and sour cream. We eat a lot of Mexican food. It's pretty healthy if you make it yourself!
I've been having smoothies - yogurt, frozen fruit, just a little bit of juice, banana, and spinach. It keeps me un-hungry for as long as a regular meal.
I also love Greek yogurt! My favorite is the Fage and I love how tart and amazing it is. I've been trying to eat more fish and veggies myself. I recently tried Kale chips and was surprised at how yummy they were.
Ooh. I'll definitely have to hit up Costco! I have switched over to mostly spinach and it's usually in the fridge as well. Downside to spinach is that funky aftertaste. I love good Mexican food for sure! Just need to watch out for the sour cream and cheese.
I love smoothies too! I've just been using my muscle milk and adding ice and bananas. But, I'm also up for a trip to Jamba Juice whenever the occasion arises!
I like the Fage too. I think it has the most protein per serving (if I remember correctly). What fish do you usually use? I'm a sucker for salmon. How do you cook the Kale chips? I've wanted to try those.
I usually use salmon but have recently tried Basa and Tilapia. I've also been doing more shrimp than usual. For the kale chips you just wash and dry the kale. Then you turn the oven to 350. Put a bit of oil on the kale and Salt and Pepper. Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until they are crispy. Turn at least once. I've also tried them with a couple TBSP of parm cheese and used 1 TBSP of Sesame oil. Good.
Post a Comment